Here There and Everywhere

Expat wanderer

Halloween and Your Pet

I got these reminders today from Pet Food Direct who sends the Qatteri Cat’s special diet food every month or so. These are great things to keep in mind, especially shutting your pet away when a thousand strangely dressed creatures are coming to the door!


Keep your pet in a safe, secure, and quiet area of your home during trick-or-treating. Many pets can be scared of kids dressed in costume, the constant ringing of the doorbell, or traffic in and out of the house. Keeping your pet in a secure area away from all of the action will help keep your pet relaxed and will help prevent escape. Be sure all pets are wearing collars and ID tags just in case!

Keep your pets indoors during Halloween eve and leading up to Halloween. Cats – black ones in particular – often fall victim to pranksters. Keep cats safely indoors. Visit for more information.

Try to avoid taking your dog trick-or-treating because this can be very stressful to your pet. If you do decide to take your pet out on Halloween eve, make sure they are properly restrained with a reflective collar and leash and make sure they are well supervised.

When decorating your home for Halloween, keep loose wires, open flames, decorations, and Jack-o-lanterns out of your pets’ reach. Pets are curious creatures by nature so these materials can attract their attention and potentially cause harm to them.

Keeping candy out of reach from your pet is very important, too. Chocolate can be poisonous to a dog or cat and candy wrappers can cause choking or intestinal obstruction if ingested. If you think your pet has ingested candy, call your veterinarian immediately and/or contact ASPCA poison control. Poison control charges a $60 fee, but it is well spent should your pet get into trouble. Instead of chocolate, have your pets’ favorite treats handy for them to enjoy!!!

I hope all your family members – including your pets — have a fun, safe, and happy Halloween!

October 25, 2009 - Posted by | Halloween, Health Issues, Humor, Pets, Safety


  1. Thanks for spreading the word on pet safety during Halloween time! Here’s some more pet-friendly information from Pet Poison Helpline, another animal poison control!

    Pet Poison Helpline Offers Halloween Safety Tips for Pets
    Advice on “treats” that pets should avoid and other Halloween hazards

    Holidays can bring unique foods and materials into the house that pose special threats to animals. Halloween, with its costumes and candy, can be a dangerous and stressful time for a pet.

    The following tips showcase what pet owners should watch out for around Halloween.

    Tricks, not treats! Some human treats can be deadly for pets
    Chocolate: Make sure your kids know to hide their Halloween stash from food-seeking dogs. Ninety-five percent of Pet Poison Helpline’s chocolate calls involve dogs getting into chocolate candy. Keep in mind, the less sweet and the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to your pet. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem.

    Other candy: Remember when you felt ill after gorging on too much candy? The same thing can happen to pets. Large ingestions of high-fat, high-sugar foods may lead to a condition called pancreatitis — a painful and potentially fatal inflammation of the pancreas. Signs of pancreatitis typically show up two to four days after ingesting a large high-fat meal. Monitor your pet for a decreased appetite, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea and other odd behavior.

    Raisins/grapes: While small boxes of raisins are popular and healthy treats for people, keep them away from dogs. Even small numbers of raisins or grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs (and possibly cats). Never offer grapes or raisins as snacks for your pets. Choose carrots, peas, green beans or apples instead.

    Candy wrappers: Not only is candy toxic to pets, but so are the wrappers. Few animals will bother to unwrap Halloween treats before eating them. Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers may cause a bowel obstruction when ingested in large quantities.

    Halloween hazards
    Glow sticks/jewelry: Pets, especially cats, love to chew on these colorful toys. Though not highly poisonous, the glowing contents can cause pain and irritation in the mouth as well as profuse drooling, nausea and vomiting.

    Costumes: While dressing up our pets can be entertaining, keep in mind that your pet may not enjoy it. Make sure the costume does not impair their vision or movement. Also, beware of costumes containing metallic beads, snaps or other small pieces. If ingested, some metals (especially zinc and lead) can result in serious poisoning. Never dye or apply coloring to your pets’ fur. Even if the dye is labeled non-toxic, many are not meant to be ingested and can potentially cause harm.

    Additionally, pets may be afraid of people dressed in costumes and may not even recognize those they typically know. Fear can cause animals to act aggressively or in an unpredictable manner. If your pet seems nervous or afraid, make sure to have a safe area for them to hide or take a “time out.”

    Candles: Wagging tails and curious noses do not mix with candles. Keep candles well out of reach of four-legged friends and, when possible, use safe, electric lights in jack-o-lanterns.

    The best thing any pet owner can do is to be educated about the common foods and items that are potentially toxic to pets. Make sure to avoid accidentally feeding your pets human foods that may be dangerous for them and keep poisonous products out of your pet’s reach. When in doubt or if you think your pet has been poisoned, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately at 1-800-213-6680 with any questions or concerns.

    Comment by Dr. Justine Lee, DVM, DACVECC | October 26, 2009 | Reply

  2. Thank you, Dr. Lee, we are honored that you would come by and share this valuable information. FYI, you do realize this is a Arabian Gulf blog, don’t you? It’s not a toll free call from here!

    Comment by intlxpatr | October 26, 2009 | Reply

  3. Haaa! I didn’t know that this was an Arabian Gulf blog, but just the same – for you pet lovin’ animal owners all the way out there, at least you know what dangers to avoid!!! 🙂

    Comment by Pet Poison Helpline | October 26, 2009 | Reply

  4. LOL, and ahlen wa sahlen (means Welcome!) to the Middle East, Dr. Lee! 🙂

    Comment by intlxpatr | October 26, 2009 | Reply

  5. Thanks so much for mentioning our Halloween Safety tips and spreading the word to others. We are thrilled to hear that our service is helping you folks in the Arabian Gulf to obtain your pet’s food and supplies. We have many APO and FPO customers and love to hear that this service is benefiting them. Keep up all the good work you are doing and we are always here to assist you with any questions or advice you need for your pets. you can follow us on Twitter ( or friend us on Facebook (
    Thanks again!

    Comment by Valerie from | October 30, 2009 | Reply

  6. You are welcome, Valerie, or as they say here “ahlen wa sahlen!”

    Comment by intlxpatr | October 31, 2009 | Reply

  7. PetFoodDirect has an exciting campaign running on our site beginning 11/21/09. 10% of all orders that enter the discount code DONATE will be given to help animal caregivers. Shoppers will also save an additional 10% off their order total. Check out this press release for more details and spread the word!

    Comment by Valerie from | November 20, 2009 | Reply

Leave a Reply to Dr. Justine Lee, DVM, DACVECC Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: